The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rear diff   General Discussion

Started Sep-11 by Kc1100; 446 views.
Kc1100

Sep-11

Anybody know what the numbers on the rear differential means? The 55-54 clicks when I turn the gear, the 54-53 doesnt... are there any difference in gear ratios? All other numbers are the same besides these. One original to my bike, the other is off ebay. The ebay clicks, original doesn't. Both empty, and down to bearing in front...

• Edited September 11, 2021 11:15 pm  by  Kc1100
In reply toRe: msg 1
Donn (99Orton)

Sep-12

To the best of my knowledge there are no differences in gearing on the 1100. I have no idea what the numbers mean. Maybe a casting code?

In reply toRe: msg 1
2k1VStarRide

Sep-13

How do you open the diff? Does it just pop off?

I removed the rear wheel because it's flat - nail in the tire (spoiled the weekend!).

I want to check if the gear needs to be lubed before reinstalling.

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

There is gear oil to lube the diff. ...... but make sure you lube the splines on both the wheel and diff where they mate with Moly 60 grease. .....and no....Moly 60 is not any moly grease. Honda makes it and it's available in most bike shops.

From the Knowledge Base..... https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/5-modifications/wheels

Kc1100

Sep-13

Yes, should pull straight off the wheel once removed from the bike.  I had to wiggle mine to get it off, there's a spacer bearing inside there, like a piece of pipe that will fall out most likely, just lube it and stick it back in there... don't forget it

Kc1100

Sep-13

I used m77, it was all I could find

In reply toRe: msg 5
2k1VStarRide

Sep-14

I drained the diff oil first then tried to wiggle it but it wouldn't budge so I ended using two crowbar on opposite ends and pried gently. 

It popped right off just using little pressure.

I wanted to check and lube all splines myself (they look a little dry to me) - not sure if the local shop would do it when changing the tire - I have a flat (nail)

All is good now. Should get the wheel back today!

Thanks all for your replies

In reply toRe: msg 6
2k1VStarRide

Sep-14

I got some Yamalube Marine Grease from a Yamaha dealer.

They told me that's what they use.

In reply toRe: msg 6
crazeeharry

Sep-14

Moly 60 in no longer available but it replaced by the M77, it is the same thing for all intents.  All good.  ( : ))