_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Middle driven shaft repair. Not an new topic, but a painful one.    Technical-Bikes

Started Oct-8 by OldAFVetProf; 285 views.
OldAFVetProf

Oct-8

2006 1100. So it turns out my middle driven shaft sheared off and dropped the nut and washer in the speed sensor area and then started clanging around. I guess, according to the Wiki, this is a known problem. Someone named Cobb came up with a nifty repair that might save my rear end...if I have to go to Yamaha to fix this (assuming they know how), it would be cheaper to junk the bike. Ow. That would hurt my feelings. I love this bike. SO, I am going to try Cobb's repair first. In his repair, he came up with a thinner shaft nut and I was hoping someone around would know where he got that. I need a source. 

Any help?

BTW, if you have a shaft drive bike, go look at the Wiki for the Middle Driven Shaft repair. It also shows you how to check your bike and put a fix in there to keep this from happening. I am an engineer by vocation and I can tell you, this is poor engineering. So don't get bit. You can keep this problem from happening reasonably easily. 

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

I'm not sure where Cobb got his.....someplace in Australia.....but I'm in the states and my local Ace Hardware had what I needed.

OldAFVetProf

Oct-9

Thank you, Mick. Hopefully I can get what I need there today. I live in a geographical oddity...80 miles from everywhere, except the nearest Yamaha shop, and that is 110 miles.

I am happy that someone I know (online) and trust has tried this and it worked.

(cue Star Trek music).

I'm going in. Wish me luck! relaxed