The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

No Sound   Technical-Bikes

Started Oct-28 by TLH55; 694 views.
TLH55

Oct-28

Just bought an 07 V-Star 1100, 19k miles, from a friend. Battery was dead, but before it died, he said the starter button wasn't doing anything. Got the battery charged up and sure enough, the key comes on and lights everything up, but when the start button is pressed, nothing, nada, zilch. When it warms up outside I'll be working on taking that housing apart to check the connections and see if anything is broken or needs cleaning. Any tips on taking it apart and what/how I should do it after I in it? 

In reply toRe: msg 1

Be careful, tiny pieces in that start switch.

Texpatriat

Oct-29

Before tearing the switch apart I would check the wiring and starter relay.

gradie55

Oct-29

thats a good idea... small parts and springs so do it carefully .... if the bike was outside ... the contacts would be corroded.. remove and clean use some dielectric grease to protect.. 

In reply toRe: msg 3
Texpatriat

Oct-30

Even if you confirm the issue is in the switch I would suggest blasting some contact cleaner in through the tiny gap between the switch and housing. It can't hurt and may save a lot of grief and agony.

Norm (NORM277)

Nov-18

Neutral safety switch? 

TLH55

Nov-18

I've never had a neutral safety switch issue with any of my bikes. Would that cause these symptoms? Everything works, but dead silence from the starter button?

In reply toRe: msg 7
Norm (NORM277)

Nov-18

Yes if the switch is activated it will prevent the starter from doing anything.  There's one at the kickstand and one in the tranny though I'm not sure where on that.  If the bike is in gear with the kickstand down, it disables the starter.  Also, in gear without the clutch pulled in does the same.  Check the manual or the KB for where to test those.  Been down that road, had me baffled for a bit. 

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Hey Norm! hope you're well!

Norm (NORM277)

Nov-19

Hey Mick, all good here, been a while since I popped in here but figured I'd help out if possible.  Hunkered down for winter up here.  I hope you're doing good down there.