_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

carb jetting   General Discussion

Started Dec-21 by nehalliston; 829 views.
nehalliston

Dec-21

Hello to all, I am new to the site. I have a 04. I currently have the maxair predetor pro kit, 438 cams, with baron slip-ons.  I am switching to  the PCS monster pro exhaust 2 in 1. With the maxair kit I have a bigger main jet in the front cylinder. I believe that is because the front head runs cooler and the fact that the stock exhaust has a 90 degree restriction coming off the back head. The monster pro exhaust eliminates the 90 degree restriction coming off the back head. Because of this PCS recommends running the same size jet in both carbs. anyone got any ideas on this.

Donn (99Orton)

Dec-22

Welcome, the majority here stay away from Max aire and PCS due to poor customer service. That being said, those of us that run PODs jet the carbs the same using OEM Mikuni jets. Up at the top of the page next to sick Micks name is the link to our Knowledge base. Click on it and go to the jetting section for info.  Here's a link to that section.  V-Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base - Carb Jetting (google.com)  

nehalliston

Dec-22

Thanks Donn, What size of mains should I be running with pods. Also you mentioned most people on this site stay away from PCS. Is there a favorite where people shop for 1100 parts.

Donn (99Orton)

Dec-23

Why rejet what you already have? I'm not sure what you need with PCS cams and slipons. I ran Pods, 440 cams from Tim, full exhaust system, dyna ignition and coils with 157.5 mains and stock 17.5 pilots and PMS adjusted by lean drop. Use the jetting chart in the wKB as a guide line.

nehalliston

Dec-23

Thanks. I'll probably just even my jets out as the front is slightly larger than the rear. I will definately go to the chart in the wKB for a guide line. I've had the the cams in there for a couple of years now, and I no longer use slip on as I have a full 2in1 exhaust now. 

Mark (MarkS106)

Dec-23

Man, I wish I’d read more in the knowledge base BEFORE I purchased my MaxAir set. I’ve got it sitting in a box in my office wondering if I should do the install or try to send it back and get my money back.

Donn (99Orton)

Dec-24

Just don't use the crankcase venting and vent to a catch can. I'm not a fan of venting the crankcase to the carbs. We've seen oily messes due to venting to the carbs.

Mark (MarkS106)

Dec-27

Do you have a recommendation for that? I'm looking at the KB and see a LOT of discussion on the subject. Am I right in thinking that I'd just disconnect the crossover tubes from the supplied air filters and run the line they hook into into a catch can instead? And what have you all used as a catch can in the past? Would it be best to use something with a sponge inside, so anything that is vented can be "sopped" up by the sponge?

Donn (99Orton)

Dec-27

When I bought the Chubby kit a catch can was offered as a option which I bought. I think Mick might have used steel wool in his 5hr energy can? I'm not sure.

Mark (MarkS106)

Dec-27

Oooh, steel wool. That's a much better idea than the aquarium filter material I was thinking of. More resistant to higher heat, just as cheap. Cheap is good. Thanks Donn, you've given me enough to go on.