_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Start / stop switch problem   Technical-Bikes

Started Apr-17 by SouthernNYer; 436 views.
SouthernNYer

Apr-17

Hi everyone..

I have a 1100 Custom that I've been working on for a while and it's about ready for the road but the start switch isn't making contact when its pressed. I took it apart to clean the terminals and everything seems to be in good shape.  From what I see, there is a spring below the button that should connect the 2 terminals inside the switch housing. I have the large end of the spring facing out (see photo) and if I short the  terminals on the white plastic with a screwdriver, it starts fine. Been trying to find a schematic of the inside of the switch housing but no luck. There has to be something missing but this is the way it was when I first opened it..  Thanks for any help....  

steve (HERRICK123)

Apr-20

I believe that switch is broken. I think there should be metal on the black button in the middle of the spring. look on the inside and think how it would make contact. by looking at the picture looks like there is no way that would work.

In reply toRe: msg 2
steve (HERRICK123)

Apr-20

yes on the white part you see a metal ring with a screw-like metal part in the center. so the spring is set on the outer ring. if there is a screw connected to the top of the spring and screwed into the black button when you push the button down power goes up spring .when the center screw you put in touch the center of the white part. so put a screw in and be sure it touches the spring then you are good to go!

steve (HERRICK123)

Apr-20

Try this first before trying a screw , just bend the spring to the center so it will touch the center of the white part when pressed.

SouthernNYer

Apr-22

Thanks for the info. I finally found a drawing on another forum that shows that there is a contact in the spring .. I fixed it by gluing a small  screw that fit the hole in the button after filing the head flat. Works perfect. 

steve (HERRICK123)

Apr-22

Ok good glad this helped.