_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

2007 VStar 1100 Classic - drive shaft questions (possible problem)   Technical-Bikes

Started Apr-21 by JMK1100 (JMK1000); 1948 views.
JMK1100 (JMK1000)

Apr-21

Hi Guys.
Almost a year ago I got 2007 VStar 1100 Classic with 7800 miles on it.  Clean as a whistle.  Almost new tires.
I am new to the motorcycles - but a quite a handy with tools.
I changed the clutch plates couple of weeks ago, but I didn't have time to adjust the bottom end.  So I did it today.
I put the bike on a lift (front wheel still on the ground, but the back wheel suspended.  I adjusted the clutch.  Turned the motor on, shifted into the gear, and than I noticed that the shaft makes some lateral moves (when it gets inside, behind the cover).  I also heard some noice when it turned, like hitting the plastic cover inside (not too loud, but for me - alarming).
This happened when the wheel wasn't touching the ground.  The jack DIDN'T let the swing arm extend down, the position was almost like riding.  When I stopped the engine, I tried to shake the shaft by hand - it didn't move, nor shake at all.
When I rode, I didn't hear ANY noise coming from that direction.  I even attached the iPhone to the saddle bag and recorded the sound.  It was smooth.  So, SHOULD I WORRY?  And would it happen like that?
Is there an easy way to expose the u-joint and the shaft?  Easy way - I mean - without taking everything apart, removing harnesses, and fuel lines etc?

I would appreciate some advice.  

OldAFVetProf

Apr-21

Yes, you should worry. I would think you are about to experience the catastrophe of the u-joint coming loose from the middle shaft. Been there...

But you have an opportunity here. I haven't found an easy  way to expose it: you have to pull the wheel and side covers and then take off the swing arm. However, if you follow the maintenance instructions explicitly, it isn't as bad as you fear. Once you do that, you will be able to see where the u-joint is splined on to the drive shaft with a washer and nut holding it on. If it hasn't come off yet, you should tighten it up and then torque it and then stake it. Put things back together and enjoy the ride. If it has broken the shaft, there is a fix for that also, but it is much more involved. This is a known weak spot on this bike. Thankfully, some wonderful soul has put together a marvelous writeup in the knowledge base. It is very well done and has a lot of information. Go look at it now and DON'T do what I did...ride it until it finishes breaking (I was 400 miles from home when it started going bad).

Good luck!

JMK1100 (JMK1000)

Apr-21

Thanks a lot.  I was afraid that it was that.  I read so may stories about it, that today, when I put the bike on the lift (I have just bought the lift), and powered it up, it looked like the problem was in the making.  
Hopefully so far it is not broken, just loose.  Oh, well, a lot of learning ahead, and a lot of work...
Thanks again.

Where can I find the description of the procedure?  Could you point me in the right direction?

steve (HERRICK123)

Apr-21

You do not sound like you have a driveshaft problem. just a shield hitting the shaft. 

On my 2005 the shaft broke in a mountain ride rode it home 60 miles . You will know if the nut is loose or the shaft broke off with the nut, as mine did. You will have a LOUD whine in 5th and 4th gear on decel only. I mean loud! I did that repair big job. but can be done.

Check the u joint shield if loose cut it off and don't replace it. if that's not it then check drive shaft.

OldAFVetProf

Apr-21

What Herrick says is right. The pointer is the Wiki (at the top of this page)>Repairs>Middle Drive shaft. It will also teach you how to stake it. I first thought mine was the shield also...that's why I rode it 400 miles home. Almost made it, too! If you take that side apart and pull the speed sensor, you can put your finger down there and see if you can wiggle stuff. Also, if it is rattling, it is probably that loose nut doing a kabuki dance down there when the middle shaft turns. ;-)

PS: there is no way to replace just the shaft shield...not sold separately, but it is just for pretty anyway. 

JMK1100 (JMK1000)

Apr-22

Thank you Guys.  I will start taking thing apart on Monday or Tuesday.  I am kind of 'scared' doing the big job by myself if, indeed, it is what it seems to be.  It sucks, that there is no access to the u-joint and the nut just unscrewing a few screws.  Well... if I succeed fixing it, something to be proud of...

I will start with a boroscope to take a peek inside before I start disassembling that thing.  At least to know what's ahead of me.
Thanks.

JMK1100 (JMK1000)

Apr-22

I was on a highway going home from the warehouse when I did a service to the bike.  No weird sounds, either on accelerating nor decelerating.  No rattling either.  
As I wrote, what alerted me was that the shaft was turning doing the lateral movement when the wheel was in the air on the lift.  And then there was some rattling - kind of along the shaft movement.  
I have to see it with the horoscope.

Thanks.

steve (HERRICK123)

Apr-22

you dont need a boroscope at all when you take out the speed sensor you will see what you need to see.

If you have to take it apart it is normal to worry I did . I took my time 2 day one to tear it down ,one to drill and tap then put it back together.

you can do it .

JMK1100 (JMK1000)

Apr-26

Hi - so, I got a borescope...  I took off the cover, removed speed sensor, and tried to wiggle things by a screwdriver - nothing.  I dipped the borescope, and made a few pictures... ...everything looks clean, lubricated.  I guess it was something related to the wheel in the air, not with the load.  What would be your suggestion?  The only thing which looked weird to me was that the the drive shaft coming from the engine had a hole in it.    Any opinions?  Thanks.

steve (HERRICK123)

Apr-26

All looks good and normal for the hole. Just stake nut so it will come loose and you are done.