_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

2007 VStar 1100 Classic - drive shaft questions (possible problem)   Technical-Bikes

Started Apr-21 by JMK1100 (JMK1000); 3035 views.
In reply toRe: msg 26
JMK1100 (JMK1000)

Jun-22

The story has been concluded - finally.   I don't want to let you hanging...

On May 26, I left the bike at the mechanics.  
After a couple of days the mechanic diagnosed the problem as:  bearing on the drive shaft, inside the crankcase.  
It took a long time to get the parts...

I got my bike back today.  I rode 65-70mph - no vibration.  It looks like the diagnosis was right and the fix was proper.  

It makes me wonder...  I haven't heard that the bearing on the middle drive was a common problem.  But - is it?  Maybe some of the broken shaft problems (not all) come from the broken bearing and the vibration... otherwise the screw wouldn't unscrew.  
What do you say?

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

That's the first time I've heard of one going bad. 

Donn (99Orton)

Jun-23

That's a 1st for me as well.

JMK1100 (JMK1000)

Jun-23

Quick Mick and Donn,

Thanks you for your quick answer.  
I, myself searched and re-searched and haven't found any mention on the Internet of this.  But, this is what it was.

Now, I always ask a question - could it be prevented?
I am a one-year-old rider, but I am a gentle rider.  No racing, no wheelies, no tire burning...  So, was it just a defective part?, or it's an underlying problem deeper in the engine?
As of today the bike has 9340 miles on it.  It's a baby (16 y/o baby - but a baby).

Donn (99Orton)

Jun-24

Being a non-serviceable part, I don't know how it could have been prevented and it sounds like yours is a isolated case. When I had mine I rode it hard, no wheelies but I did race a bit and maybe a couple of burnouts. :)      

JMK1100 (JMK1000)

Jun-24

Yeah.  It looks like an isolated incident.  Summer is up.  I am going to put some miles on the odometer...  Hopefully, there are not too many 'isolated incidents' stored for me in the future.  I am not trying to be unique... I am not trying to stand out in the crowd... I want to be like everybody else...  Just wear and tear up to a 100k miles. Ha Ha Ha.   Cheers.

LordRamiro

Jul-20

I was thinking about the bearing as I was reading through, (I remembered something that happened to Me as a kid with a bicycle)

I didn't know that it was a non servicable part though, but in My thoughts,it was the only part left that had not been diagnosed / checked, that could emit vibrations.

I would guess maybe it had always been there and you are the first owner to actually mind about it.

Glad you could find the problem though.