_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

2007 VStar 1100 Classic - drive shaft questions (possible problem)   Technical-Bikes

Started 4/21/22 by JMK1100 (JMK1000); 3750 views.
In reply toRe: msg 32
JMK1100 (JMK1000)

Sep-7

*MAJOR UPDATE*

After one of the mechanics replaced a bearing somewhere in the middle/final drive area (he never shared with me more information - very cryptic messages - no transparency), the vibration while riding above 50-55 mph subsided greatly.  But they didn't disappear.  I put the bike on a stand with the back wheel up, turned it on, engaged the first gear, and I still has the movement of the left end of the shaft - up and down (it seemed). 

So I decided that it might be something I read about (again, not typical, but it happened), that the shaft was bent.  I couldn't lift the bike high enough to take the rear end apart, so I made an appointment with another mechanic.

In the meantime I bought the shaft for my bike at Partzilla.  It took about two hours of the mechanic work (stupid me - I didn't buy the end seal, but he was so good taking it off, that he could reuse it).  The shaft was replaced. 

Two days later I finally went on a trip - about 50 miles on a highway (100 back and forth).  The vibration was not any more up to 65 mph.  And even then when I clutched out, and revel down at the speed of 70, the bike was 'sailing'.  No vibration coming from the drive train.  No vibration from the wheels - smooth sailing.

So, thank you all for input and attention.  I know, it was not a typical issue, but it might happen to others - I read about the bent drive - I guess it's made from a bit too soft steel.  

The vibration I am dealing with now comes from the engine, maybe clutch.  I will have to make sure that everything is to the specs.  But I will start another thread for the next step.  Cheers.

Texpatriat

Sep-7

JMK1100 (JMK1000) said:

I couldn't lift the bike high enough to take the rear end apart, so I made an appointment with another mechanic.

Next time take the fender off. You only need to lift it an inch or two.

JMK1100 (JMK1000)

Sep-7

OK.  To be completely honest - I chickened out.  
And good that I did - I was watching the mechanic while he was doing all of it - I am not sure if I would remove the seal without destroying it.  he did.

And, it looks like I have found a mechanic I am not afraid to leave my bike with.  That's precious.  

All well what ends well.  Cheers.