MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

2004 Vstar 1100 Silverado TPS Replacement   General Discussion

Started Apr-30 by CHRIS1037; 570 views.
CHRIS1037

Apr-30

Hey All-

I bought a vstar 1100 Silverado last year.  The Check Engine light was on, flashing 3 times, which I understand is an indication something is wrong with the TPS.  I've put about 500 miles on it in this condition as it's always run really well.  But just decided to go ahead and replace it.  My new one arrived yesterday and I was reviewing the TPS wiki here:  https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/tuning/tps  and I notice it says at the bottom something like "Don't remove or disconnect the TPS unless you have the dyno 1000 whatever."  Is this accurate?  Is there a better guide for replacing and adjusting the TPS?

Thanks!

Chris

Donn (99Orton)

Apr-30

Like it said, unless you have cams and a Dyna 3000 don't disconnect the TPS. I quess I don't understand what you are looking for. The Kb tells you how to adjust and replacing and then checking that it is spec is straight forward.

Texpatriat

Apr-30

It's not about removing it to replace it. It's about running without it.

Just forget you read that part.

CHRIS1037

Apr-30

I guess what I'm asking is, while that particular KB article talks about adjusting the TPS, it doesn't say anything about "if your TPS is bad and you need to replace it, do XYZ" other than some scary language that says "Don't remove the TPS unless you have..."  My TPS gives no Ohms readings, it's definitely bad, and I want to replace my old one, but I don't have a Dyna 3000.  Is it really not possible to replace the TPS and then adjust it using the info in this article without at Dyna 3000?

Texpatriat - are you saying I would be ok with simply removing the old bad one, installing the new one, and then following the adjustment procedure?

Oh!!!  've just re-read these messages, and I understand now :)  The article is saying "You shouldn't disconnect or remove the TPS (permanently) unless you have they Dyna 3000 ignition module."  Not that there's some like BIOS or permanent type setting that will be lost if you disconnect the TPS."  Sheehs .. I've replace the TPS on several vehicles and on my boat, so I was like "why the heck is the TPS on this motorcycle so dang particular...." .. I'm all up to speed now, and will get to work :) 

Thanks!

Chris

• Edited April 30, 2022 11:18 am  by  CHRIS1037
steve (HERRICK123)

May-1

CHRIS1037 said:

Dyna 3000

Dyna 3000 is a computer ECU for a motorcycle you don't have one! so forget about a Dyna 3000. Sound like you think its a tool to adjust the TPS it is not a tool.

so just replace the tps adjust it and you are done! Does this help?

Msg 63339.6 deleted
CHRIS1037

May-1

Yep.  I don't know why I somehow got it in my head that the language in the wiki was somehow suggesting that you "don't disconnect the TPS, because if you do, some factory set value in non-volitle memory will be erased and you'll need a dyna 3000 to re-program it."  In hindsight that seems ridiculous .. musta just been having a moment.  I'm all good now :) 

steve (HERRICK123)

May-2

No worries, I do it also at times I just don't read it right. this site helps us when we get lost. 100 brains are always better than one. unless you get someone that doesn't know or just wants to guess. that can be a pain when all you want is help.