_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Gear changing problem (2007 V-Star 1100 Classic - 9300miles)   Technical-Bikes

Started May-12 by JMK1100 (JMK1000); 305 views.
JMK1100 (JMK1000)

May-12

Hi Guys,

(2007 V-Star 1100 Classic - 9300miles)

I am learning as I go (one year old rider, one year old owner of the motorcycle).

PROBLEM:

Almost from the beginning (a year ago) I had a noisy switching from the first to the second (only up).

It bothered me.  I change the oli often - when the oil darkens (I ride the NYC city traffic, so the friction zone is my domain...).  I changed all the clutch plates and a spring - to have a good base.  It works well, doesn't slip - first gear in with a little jolt.

Yesterday, on a highway, I realized that I am reving high on the tob gear to get 65 mph.  And then, when I paid attention, I noticed that there is NO SWITCH FROM 4TH TO 5TH.  
I experimented more and noticed that sometimes the 5th goes in, but sometimes it doesn't.

I have read (and saw the videos) theat it may be a loose screw right under the left engine cover, where the shifter operates - it unscrews and blocks the shifter.   

Would you think, that it is what the symptoms I described lead to?  

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

That's where I'd start....

JMK1100 (JMK1000)

May-12

Thanks.

I should get the gasket on Wednesday, so on Thursday I will open her up.  
I am going to reuse the oil - I rode on it just 250 miles after I changed the clutch - As I wrote - I ride in the city, mostly, so I change the oil when it gets dark (around 700 miles), but it's still 'honey'.