MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Flywheel Installation   General Discussion

Started Aug-1 by Mataio1970; 502 views.
Mataio1970

Aug-1

Hey Brains Trust,

I replaced my starter clutch yesterday, all went well until I put the Flywheel back on and tightened the nut with the cordless rattle gun. Everything was lined up when I installed it but i think i may have overtightened the nut, about 20 seconds after I tightened it I heard a loud 'Pop' sound coming from behind the Flywheel, any Ideas on what the Pop sound could've been?

Cheers from Sydney Australia  

crazeeharry

Aug-1

Turn the flywheel slightly, does the engine turn with it? If yes then maybe the flywheel just seated on the shaft properly, if not then you broke something.

Mataio1970

Aug-1

Thanks CrazeeHarry,

I'll have a go when i get home from work. Fingers crossed I haven't snapped anything.

Cheers

Mataio1970

Aug-22

Hey CrazeeHarry,

Was wondering if you’d know what the problem could be,  the engine turns but now when I go to start the bike everything shorts out, is there anything electrical i could’ve damaged when replacing the flywheel?

crazeeharry

Aug-22

Others will probably know better than I, but as far as 'I' know there is nothing electrical in behind that cover around the flywheel as I remember it from doing my starter clutch. I'd remove the starter motor (two bolts) then connect it directly to the battery and see if it runs... Be careful it is a torquey little bugger, then you can also put a finger in the hole and check to see if the one way bearing turns one way and the right way too. It free wheels in the opposite direction to the way the starter turns it when installed!

Are you blowing the main fuse under the seat? What is shorting out exactly, respond to all and a more knowledgeable member may chime in as well.