MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

2002 Vstar 1100 eletrical problems   Technical-Bikes

Started Aug-8 by Bungieman1; 675 views.
Bungieman1

Aug-8

Hey All

I'm a new member having problems with the electrical system on my bike and I thought Id see if I could get some help.

Originally the battery went dead while I was riding and the bike shop told me that I needed a new stator.  I put it away for a few years due to life circumstances but recently got around to working on it.  I replaced the stator and got a new battery and the bike ran fine but still did not seem to be charging. only reading 12 or less while running  across the battery terminals.  Then I replaced the rectifier and went for a ride.  After about 10 miles The rectifier melted and one of the 30 amp fuses blew.  Major bummer, hey?  so I got another rectifier and put it in.  The volt meter then read 14.5 or so between the battery terminals so I figured I was all set.

I went on a 50 mile ride and every thing seemed fine.  A week latter I tried to start it and the battery was too low, so when I   took the battery cover off the battery looked swollen.  I assume bloated from over charging???

Soooo that's where I am at.  any Ideas would be much appreciated. 

Donn (99Orton)

Aug-9

OEM parts? If you are buying cheap crap off Amazon that's the problem.   V-Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base - Charging System (google.com)

crazeeharry

Aug-9

Good morning Donn, Hoping you and the Mrs are well!

crazeeharry

Aug-9

Aftermarket parts, eBay? China... ?

You need an OEM rectifier, (Roadstar r/r is much better.)  OEM stator.

Bungieman1

Aug-9

Thanks crazeeharry

I did use afetrmarket   parts. I guess I will order and Yamaha rectifier. Seems odd that 2 new ones didn't work but I guess that the stator must be working as it appears to be over charging???  Will has to get another new battery too.  

Thanks, Ill post if it works.

Mike 

Bungieman1

Aug-9

ThanksDon

I did use afetrmarket   parts. I guess I will order and Yamaha rectifier. Seems odd that 2 new ones didn't work but I guess that the stator must be working as it appears to be over charging???  Will has to get another new battery too.  

Thanks, Ill post if it works.

crazeeharry

Aug-10

A bad eBay rectifier/regulator cooked my Battery in 2015, it was all swollen, the second non OEM R/R  smelt like burning clutch one day, my gauges went weird, the died, the engine died, dead on the street. That's how I found out.

Also a bad R/R has been known to toast the entire system.

The Roadstar OEM is worth the extra, $$ if you run any extra load on the system, & will fit (with a squeeze) the stock location... I added extra ventilation to its cubby with a 1/2 drill bit, extra cooling.

Donn (99Orton)

Aug-10

Doing well up this way. How about you?

Donn (99Orton)

Aug-10

use the Roadstar upgrade for your reg/rec. Part #5VN-81960-00-0

crazeeharry

Aug-10

Yup, doing well, on my second flat tire... LOL...

I got 29,780 out of the last one. How's the HD doing?