_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

2005 Yamaha V Star 1100 - Electrical problem   General Discussion

Started Sep-11 by Carlos6699; 736 views.
Carlos6699

Sep-11

Have problem with 2005 Yamaha V Star 1100... Bike perfect for a long time, but, on my last "Ride"... this problem accured... After about 60 Km in the "Ride", speedometer started to become crazy, dropping to 0, back to 60 Km/Hr (real speed at the time), 5Km later same thing, but at that moment, even when I twisted the trottle, did not want to accelerate... stopped on side of road, bike still running, but looked to missfire and "was asking me to help him"...!!! Stop everything, thingking that resarting it would make the problem "vanish"...!!! ERROR... didn't started again since that time... 300$ towing later... I have no idea what is the problem..!

Same situation once with a 1995 YAMAHA VIRAGO 750, and mechanic change "regulator/rectifier", bingo... problem solved...! Did the same thing, change de "rectifier/regulator" on this bike... no change... When turning key at "on" position, don't even have front light, break light, cliking of fuel pump, nothing at all... battery is full charged, as indicated by charger... and don't see other problem posible...

I am not a mechanic, I have the CLAYMER book to start the "Troubleshooting", but I don't even know what to do with my "Multimeter"... I began by trying to test the battery... shows " 9,43 " as voltage... ouch (I think)!!!

Anybody would take a chance at trowing me some information... THANKS IN ADVANCE

Carl (CF Veteran)

PnutsC

Sep-12

Well, you obviously have a dead battery. It probably quit charging while you were riding. You ran off battery until it was too low and that's when you developed electrical problems.  Not sure what you mean by battery was good according to  charger but according to your volt meter it isn't. If you charged the battery and it still reads 9.43 then it's bad. Battery needs to be properly charged, tested and replaced if faulty. It should jump if that's all that's wrong.  Do you have a jump box available? Be careful jumping observing polarity. Once started check voltage with engine running and good battery. If it still reads battery voltage with engine running it isn't charging. 

• Edited September 12, 2022 7:27 am  by  PnutsC
In reply toRe: msg 2
Carlos6699

Sep-12

Thanks, after testing at 9ish volts, plugged the charger... my mistake probably is reading the charger... showed 100%, so I tough battery was at 100% charge... put charger, than when testing after one night charge, it's now at 13,45 volts... 1- should keep charging until ?? Volts on testing... 2- dead battery would result in that problem...?

Because, after turning key off, 1st time trying to restart, only full pump clicks heard, then... nothing more, even lights don't light...

Merci beaucoup mon ami "Rider"!!! 

PnutsC

Sep-12

Check voltage at battery under load. Key on should still be 12.5 - 12.6. I think you'll find it drops back to 9 with key on. If voltage is above 12 with key on check while holding starter button. If battery voltage good under load look elsewhere.

• Edited September 12, 2022 7:34 am  by  PnutsC
In reply toRe: msg 4
Carlos6699

Sep-12

Good, thanks a lot, will keep update... when I will have time to put my hands on the next steps of solving my problem... by the way "rectifier" already changed...

Thanks again!

Dan (Kamikazedan)

Sep-12

If your battery is older, it may not recover from a deep discharge, even if your charging system is repaired. You may be looking for a new battery, too. 

Carlos6699

Sep-12

I think soooo, cause, I check it a few hours in charging... it when down to 12,72 (olding voltimeter for 30 seconds on battery), after only a couple of minutes unplugged from charger... Soooo, friends... for the moment, until next summer, that's it... start fresh next April with new battery, and will start from there..!

Thanks to all of you who provided info...!

JMK1100 (JMK1000)

Sep-12

I would suspect it's just a rectifier.  When it fails, the lights flicker, speedometer goes crazy, battery doesn't charge, and goes dead...
It's a $150 fix, you can do it yourself.

Carlos6699

Sep-12

Did already change the rectifier... but did not think to check battery, until my son told me that he had a voltimeter, and I should check battery..!.. I was thinking by plugging charger, I would have indication, but on charger it indicated 100%, so I thought the battery was full charged.... nooooo, it was probably saying that he (charger) was working at 100%... because I checked the battery after inplugging charger... that's when it told me that the battery was at 9,45 volts...

Will change battery to begin April 2023, and will go from there... thanks for the tip!

Donn (99Orton)

Sep-13

I hope you bought a OEM reg/rec and not cheap Chinese junk off Amazon.