The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Carb performance    General Discussion

Started Sep-30 by BULLET615; 939 views.
BULLET615

Sep-30

Ok finally have the bike running real good BUT… when I’m going 65 and get on the throttle hard/quickly I get almost no response. If I EASE on to the throttle I can accelerate. Bike pulls great in ALL RANGES except for this. I’m running 147.5 main, pods, and slip on mufflers. Do I jet to 150? Raise a needle? I did a few plug chops at high speed and under load and got this result on my plugs… thanks

Donn (99Orton)

Sep-30

What pods, what pilots, PMS settings and how many shims on the needles?

BULLET615

Sep-30

Mikes xs pods. 17.5 pilot , I shim, PMS screw 2.5 turns out. Does the pms screw really affect throttle in this high range?

BULLET615

Oct-1

What do think about that plug?

Donn (99Orton)

Oct-1

Doesn't look bad. Your Pods are throwing a monkey wrench into the works. All I can say is try different jets until you get it. 17.5 pilots are fine the mains are probably the culprit. If you ran Pods we are familiar with we could be more help.

BULLET615

Oct-1

Ok. Just seemed a bit lean to me(talking about the plug). What pods do everyone here seem to like the best? Thanks for replying 

Donn (99Orton)

Oct-2

I looked at the Pods Mikes XS offers. They look small and probably doesnt flow as much air as the RU 0600's  most use. I could be wrong but thats my quess.

BULLET615

Oct-2

Well they definitely take up a lot of room so I believe they are close in size.

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Keep in mind that these are vacuum slide carbs. You won't feel the immediate throttle response that some other style carbs have. 

As far as the PMS.....it flows throughout the throttle range. There is nothing to turn it off. Turning them out will effect the entire throttle range. 

BULLET615

Oct-8

Thank you for your reply. She is running well now. I just don’t goose it so hard.