The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Strange Electrical Problem.    General Discussion

Started Oct-1 by Tazatude1; 488 views.
Tazatude1

Oct-1

Today while riding, Here's the weird part,  Headed home and speedometer worked fine, except it would go out if I pulled in the clutch and the speedometer would immediately drop to zero. Let the clutch out and it would come back up. Also, same would happen when applying the brakes, or put on the turn signals. What should I look for? 2003 VStar custom. 

• Edited October 1, 2023 4:46 pm  by  Tazatude1
Wiggles43

Oct-1

I read a few other pages implying this same issue. Their general answer was the battery coming to its end. Get the battery charged and tested, wait out a few without it attached (a day would be good I read) and test it again. 

Beyond that, I'm still new and don't know much.

SebastianGER

Oct-2

Did you notice the lights go out? Next time it happens try to use the horn.

My first guess would be to replace the battery

My second guess would be the rectifier

Tazatude1

Oct-2

Thank you. The most common advice I get is the rectifier. I've had the bike 20 years and this us the first problem I've ever had with it. Battery tested good, so hopefully I didn't ruin it. Bike is still charging, so it must be the rectifier. Confused as to why pulling in the clutch would affect it. 

SebastianGER

Oct-3

Mine was broken after 13 years. I think there is a way to check the stability of the electrical system, like check the voltage drop when switching on the lights. But I am not good with that.

Cneiner

Oct-3

Drop in RPM's could have an effect on the stator output which could affect the rectifier output if it's bad.