The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Gravity Feed   CustomModifications/Projects

Started by 18Apes; 10926 views.
18Apes

10/24/14

I decided to go to gravity feed and boy am I glad I did. The beast is back! I gained back a lot of power that I must have been losing so progressively and slowly that it was hard to detect, but it finally got to be so bad that I knew something was up. After checking my carbs and finding nothing wrong, i decided that my 12 year old fuel pump may be to blame. I removed the pump and relocated the fuel filter to a higher position and even though I have a California model and the tank is supposed to be vented, I had to do the gas cap ventilation mod to make it work right. Oh, and as a side benefit, my hot start issue has completely disappeared. I know this is pretty simple stuff, but I wanted to document it to help others in the future. Here are some pic's with captions to help explain the routing.

-Steve

This shows the final installation except that I later put in a copper tubing U shaped piece to replace the rubber U-turn because I think it might fold over time and restrict fuel flow. It'll make sense, keep reading.

Close up for better resolution. See the hose going around the tank mount bolt? That's where i cut away some rubber tubing and replaced with 1/4" copper tubing. Why 1/4" copper tubing? Because I already had some on hand and the bender. You can use whatever you like. As far as fuel flow goes, I test rode on the highway at WOT from 55 to 95 mph and it never had a problem. I rode around on the freeway for 30 min's at 70-75 mph and no problems.

Left over junk.

The red line is from the stock petcock to the newly located OEM fuel filter.

The green line is from the fuel filter to the original T fitting.

The yellow is the T fitting.

The blue lines are the original carb feed lines.

Test ride that returned the riding smile to my face.

-Steve

In reply toRe: msg 1
ABE (spud116)

10/24/14

Nice post Steve, and great job of explaining. I just bought an 05 that's 100% stock. I may do this when I get PODs. THANKS!

Msg 59569.3 deleted
In reply toRe: msg 1
Maustarman

10/24/14

Great write up!
I've been thinking in doing this mostly because I read somewhere in the forum that the fuel pump is one of the accessories that takes the most power to run and with all the stuff I added I wanted to take the load off somewhere.

Two questions for you if you don't mind.

One of the things I've heard is that by doing this mod the tank would not run all the way down to reserve because there isn't enough gravity to push the gas out...so, you end up using let's say 2.5 gal all the time instead of 3 gal.
Do you have any insides about this?

Second questions is about your pod set up:
What pods are those? I'm looking at a hose coming out of the top of one of them and I'm confused

Thank you

In reply toRe: msg 4
nick335

10/24/14

I went gravity a couple years ago but i also eliminated the filter,i went as direct to the carbs as possible,when i fill up i can only get in 3 gallons i'm loosing about a quart.the petcock has a screen and the carbs also have screens.

18Apes

10/24/14

I don't have enough experience with the new setup yet to give you an answer. I'll have to go on a long run and see if I can hit the reserve without encountering any fuel delivery problems.

I made a mistake and bought MaxAir Pods. Their setup had that hose running from each filter to a T connection and the third leg went to the crankcase vent. I just capped off (but you can't see it in this picture) the T connection and then installed the home made collector bottle breather for the vent.

18Apes

10/24/14

If needed, I can always eliminate the filter too!

Thanks,

-Steve

vstar105

10/24/14

Fuel limit is the same without a pump as it is with one. Pump can't suck fuel lower than petcock limits. With gravity feed,when level is low and fuel is joshed from side to side no fuel is fed to carbs. I ran my 01 for years without a pump and can say that it did great until going to reserve. Lowering the rear of bike will change the level, lowered 2.75" I had a 3.6 gallon limit, usually about 165 miles.

ABE (spud116)

10/24/14

Hmmm, this changes my thoughts on eliminating the pump. Because of the distance to work I hit reserve plus 24 to 28 miles (damn near empty) every other day.  Guess I'll keep the pump, heck it's been trouble free for 125,000 miles on my 2001 anyway.

dan (1100dan)

10/24/14

"Test ride that returned the riding smile to my face."   Or could it have been that empty beer bottle on the side of the road??    ...dan