_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Will not take throtle fast   Tuning&Exhaust:04cal/06 up

Started Apr-6 by steve (HERRICK123); 1680 views.
steve (HERRICK123)

May-8

will check Monday and let you know.

Also can not sit idle right its too low and die at times or I do have to set it too fast to have an idle.

also will backfire after you turn it off some times. 

had engine light come on for the first time ever only when I get off the freeway but it goes out in a min. or two. I think that why when I check for code there is none when I do get this dail in I am not going to touch it . lol.

Texpatriat

May-8

Maybe a crazy thought here but is it possible you can't find the problem with carbs because it's in your ignition/timing?

Worth looking into.

steve (HERRICK123)

May-8

Texpatriat said:

ignition/timing

Is ignition/timing adjustable? Maybe I should try cutting coil wire 1/4 in and put the end back on? I have never done that.

Texpatriat

May-8

It's not adjustable other than at the TPS but it can still be at fault. Coil and plug wires maybe, or the ignition module.

You can check the TPS with an ohm meter. You can check the timing ( instructions in WIKI or manual ) but if it's off you need to replace parts. There is no adjustment.

Although your issue sounds more like a fuel problem that doesn't seem to be getting anywhere. It can't hurt to look elsewhere.

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

What is your idle set at exactly? Have you checked it with a tach?

steve (HERRICK123)

May-8

I don't know, it will not idle below 1400.

Sick Mick* (quick_mick)
Host

Steve...there is something messed up in the carbs. It sounds like the idle circuit is not right or the carbs aren't assembled correctly. That's most likely the root of all your issues. 

steve (HERRICK123)

May-9

Yes Mick I believe your right. Tomorrow I am installing new intake mounts, going to 145, 147.5 from 150 mains.  then clean out the idle circuit and set PMS to two turns I think that will do it . and add one more washer to needles there only has one now. then syke the carb adjust idle. tps is set good .

You were right bike doesn't run right unless you has the right air filters on. that is why it would not take the throttle.

Texpatriat

May-10

Are you absolutely certain you don't have an old o-ring stuck up under a new PMS?

steve (HERRICK123)

May-10

I think I found the problem the washers I use to shim the needle had an outer diameter that was too wide wider than the stock washers causing the needle to ride higher than normal I noticed it today when I was trying to put the clip-on and it would not go the retainer pulled the washers in a retainer snapped right in so found smaller washers and seems good now I replace the intake manifolds. Change Main Jets from 150 to 145 and 147.5 running okay now but popping some at idle and backfiring some but I haven't synchronized the carbs yet, will do that tomorrow