_V Star 1100 Riders_

Hosted by Sick Mick* (quick_mick)|The V Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base

The Very Best Information Source for All Models of the V Star XVS 1100

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Will not take throtle fast   Tuning&Exhaust:04cal/06 up

Started Apr-6 by steve (HERRICK123); 1679 views.
wera90ex

May-5

I have a customers 1100 on the bench now. She rode it here just out of winter storage, the plugs were very sooted up . I assume she started it up several times when stored.  I cleaned the plugs and it fired right up ,no poping or banging steady idle and carburated cleanly. She had the problem last summer too. This time I will try going one step hotter on the plugs .Oh yeah, stock intake and pipes.

steve (HERRICK123)

May-5

Update I put pod air filters on and now it will take the throttle.So fixed that problem.

now idle speed kept changing and will backfire and punk 1 out of 10 take-offs from a stop .

don't know what to try next.

would a leaner main jet help this? has 150 main jets

may be a coil or spark problem?

plugs 8 months old

2005 1100 v star 

set up for pod. all stock 

150 mains carbs clean and synced ,

only one washer under needle says it needs two trying it with one.

117.5 pilot jet

stock exhaust

wera90ex

May-6

150's sound a bit rich for stock exhaust. What's the plugs look like after a rider. Also check the carb holders for air leaks. I usually just reseal them with Yamabond 4.

steve (HERRICK123)

May-6

Where do the intake normally leak at the o-rings? I got new intakes with o rings one will replace them and try a lower jets I got 147.5 and 145 that's all they had. and will try 2 washers under needle . I have only one now.

The last time I checked for leaks with starter fluid I had a small fire. so did not check any more. lol

thanks for the input we try that and let you know.

steve (HERRICK123)

May-6

no change with choke on only higher idle speed.

gradie55

May-6

when you install the 147.5... only use 1 shim on each needle.. instead of the 2 ... and 17.5 in the pilots.. and you should be golden once you.ve got it dialled in and synced .. too large of jet will make it fall on its face .. also make sure the small vacuum hose is strapped to the frame pointing forward..

steve (HERRICK123)

May-6

gradie55 said:

small vacuum hose

When you say the small vacuum hose do you mean the bowl vent hose?

I have one washer under the needle now calls for 2 washer with pods that why I was going to add a washer.

gradie55

May-6

what are your plugs saying... are they tanned or black... or white?

steve (HERRICK123)

May-8

will check Monday and let you know.

Also can not sit idle right its too low and die at times or I do have to set it too fast to have an idle.

also will backfire after you turn it off some times. 

had engine light come on for the first time ever only when I get off the freeway but it goes out in a min. or two. I think that why when I check for code there is none when I do get this dail in I am not going to touch it . lol.