Politics and Government -  Cracks in GOP support for border wall (57 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJan-9 9:23 AM 
To: All  (1 of 2) 

Wash Post:By Erica Werner Mike DeBonis January 8 at 11:11 PM

Divisions grew among congressional Republicans on Tuesday over President Trump’s shutdown strategy, as a number of lawmakers expressed consternation over the possibility that he’d declare a national emergency to build his border wall, while others voiced some support for Democrats’ plans to reopen most of the government without the wall money Trump has demanded.

Ahead of a nationally televised address by Trump, Vice President Pence lobbied House Republicans behind closed doors to stand with the president, reminding them that Trump would not sign any spending bills passed by Democrats unless he gets the wall funding he wants and urging them to reject the Democratic strategy.

But in a potentially perilous sign for Trump on the 18th day of the partial shutdown, cracks were multiplying within GOP ranks even before Pence ventured to Capitol Hill late Tuesday. The dissension was especially evident over whether Trump should declare a national emergency that would allow him to circumvent Congress and draw on military construction funds to build his wall, with some normally reliable supporters voicing concerns over the approach.

“Right now, I don’t support that. We need to go through the system,” said conservative Rep. Roger Williams (R-Tex.). “I think there’s better ways to do it.”

• Edited January 9, 2019 9:24 am  by  Marci (marcinmin)

Reply   Options 

To: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 2) 
 51309.2 in reply to 51309.1 

[edited]

• Edited January 14, 2019 11:33 pm  by  Marci (marcinmin)

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.