Politics and Government -  Slippery Mo Brooks avoids subpoena (86 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-3 8:34 AM 
To: All  (1 of 2) 

The Hill:

Rep. Eric Swalwell’s (D-Calif.) attorneys said in a new court filing that they are having trouble serving Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) with a lawsuit seeking to hold the GOP lawmaker, as well as former President Trump and his allies, responsible for inciting the Jan. 6 Capitol riot. 

Swalwell’s attorneys also asked for additional time to serve the complaint, citing Brooks’s alleged “ongoing refusal to waive service and the inherent difficulties of attempting service on a sitting Member of Congress.” 

The attorneys further requested that a U.S. Marshal or other court-designated official serve the complaint due to the difficulties in locating Brooks, as well as “recovery of costs associated” with Swalwell’s “efforts to serve Brooks.” 

Swalwell argued that Brooks “has refused to waive service or even speak to undersigned counsel about the case,” with his attorneys going so far as hiring a private investigator “to attempt to serve Brooks personally – a difficult feat under normal circumstances that has been complicated further in the wake of the January 6 insurrection at the Capitol that Defendants incited,” the attorneys wrote, citing the increased security at the Capitol following the mob attack. 

Reply   Options 

From: Marci (marcinmin) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostJun-7 8:57 AM 
To: All  (2 of 2) 
 59165.2 in reply to 59165.1 

Mo Brooks, you've been served. Predictably, Brooks went on social media to whine and scream a crime was committed - apparently the process server wasn't a Capitol Hill tourist

The Hill:

Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) has been served with a lawsuit filed by Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.), days after attorneys for Swalwell said they were having trouble tracking down the Alabama Republican, Brooks and a Swalwell representative confirmed.

The lawsuit accuses Brooks and other allies of former President Trump of provoking the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Brooks tweeted on Sunday that he had been served with the suit and claimed members of "Swalwell's team" broke into his home and served the lawsuit to his wife.

"@EricSwalwell Well, Swalwell FINALLY did his job, served complaint (on my WIFE). HORRIBLE Swalwell’s team committed a CRIME by unlawfully sneaking INTO MY HOUSE & accosting my wife! Alabama Code 13A-7-2: 1st degree criminal trespass. Year in jail. $6000 fine. More to come!" Brooks tweeted.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.